There's cooking magic at work here: The turmeric turns the tofu yolk-yellow, and the garnishes lend the whole dish a huevos rancheros vibe.
- 2 14-ounce blocks extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4-6 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- Garnishes: salsa, chopped avocado, grated cheddar, sliced scallions, and hot pepper sauce (optional)
Place tofu on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels (to absorb liquid). Using a fork or potato masher, smash tofu.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in coriander and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tofu, then turmeric. Add beans; cook, stirring often, until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
Serve scramble with tortillas and garnishes, as desired.